CFI C140 Northern MI

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Cullen H
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

CFI C140 Northern MI

Post by 8345 »

Hello All,

I am a new member here up in Northern MI (Grayling). Just got a C140, I am excited to start flying and doing some exploring.

I am trying to find a CFI to get an insurance checkout; I just need 3 hrs with a CFI. Hopefully this is the right spot to put this.

Anyone have any good leads to find a CFI near me that may want to help me get a checkout? If I am paying for the insurance I would rather it be valid, plus it may help to try and get an experienced 140 driver to give me some tips so I don't add any bends to the airplane!

Thanks so for all the help!
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Re: CFI C140 Northern MI

Post by 6898 »

Welcome to a fun plane and great group of people. Our records show 5 CFI's in Mich. all 140/120 owners. Call me days 815 695 9970 and should be able to help out. We've been driving through Grayling for past 20yrs. on our way to Indian River to ride off road motorcycles. I agree better safe than disappointing day of flying. Jeff
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
Name: John von Linsowe
Aircraft Type: 48 C-140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5806 »

Dick Acker is at Clare, not sure his CFI status. I am in the Flint area, I can give dual when I have time.
John
Name: Dick A
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 4321 »

You can give me a call and see what I can do to help you.

Dick Acker 989-339-1009
Name: William J
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 4280 »

I'm not a CFI but I could definitely help you with getting acclimated to flying your 140. I have flown a Luscombe for 46 years, and have owned and flown a 170, a 140, and a 120...and, I'm relatively close by in West Branch. But, it's awfully cold !!
Name: Dick A
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 4321 »

Just finished flying with Cullen to get his three hour requirement for insurance purposes.
It does my relatively old aviation heart good to meet a young aviation enthusiast as he becomes involved in the joy of flying.
When we first met I could tell he was excited about being the owner of a C-140, the first airplane he's owned (not a rental). Then the more we flew, the more he appreciated how gentle she is to fly and how practical and cost effective she is. The topping was when we ended our session and I watched him climb out of the airplane and as he put his feet on the ground, he looked back at his airplane with what I can only describe as "love for that magnificent little airplane".
Great job, Cullen. Hope to see you in-the-skies in the near future.
Dick
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

4321 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:00 pm Just finished flying with Cullen to get his three hour requirement for insurance purposes.
It does my relatively old aviation heart good to meet a young aviation enthusiast as he becomes involved in the joy of flying.
When we first met I could tell he was excited about being the owner of a C-140, the first airplane he's owned (not a rental). Then the more we flew, the more he appreciated how gentle she is to fly and how practical and cost effective she is. The topping was when we ended our session and I watched him climb out of the airplane and as he put his feet on the ground, he looked back at his airplane with what I can only describe as "love for that magnificent little airplane".
Great job, Cullen. Hope to see you in-the-skies in the near future.
Dick
The Acker Enthusiasm is definitely contagious. If Cullen was already smitten with the 140, the time flying with Dick likely means that he's now hopelessly "afflicted"! Cullen, what good luck to have sought and found one of the finest for an "insurance check-out", I know you agree! ...and, Dick, how great it is that you continue to share your time and intensely genuine interest (and, "relatively old aviation heart" :D ) in helping others! Mac
dliptrap
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by dliptrap »

Hi Everyone,

I have the same question but live in Spokane. I just went into a partnership with a 140 and insurance wants 2 hrs and 15 landings. I have 1.4 hrs and 4 landings as a renter but now that I am a part owner, I can't be PIC until meeting the requirements.