ADS-B Rebate and LSA

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

ADS-B Rebate and LSA

Post by 8233 »

Couple of updates from the AOPA Fly-In in Carbondale.

1. Looks like the FAA is going to offer more rebates for ADS-B installs
2. The is also some info on the latest efforts to increase the max weight for LSA which would make 120/140s LSA qualified.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... ale-fly-in
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Re: ADS-B Rebate and LSA

Post by V529 »

Very nice, thank you for posting. I get the AOPA's alerts and must have missed that one. Big news!

LSA catagory for the older aircraft will probably breath some life into them over time.
Name: Devin F
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8238 »

I was under the impression that a certified aircraft couldn't be brought into the LSA category, regardless of weight? And even if it could be brought into the S-LSA category, what benefit would that give 120/140 owners and operators? I am genuinely curious...
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

8238 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:52 pm I was under the impression that a certified aircraft couldn't be brought into the LSA category, regardless of weight? And even if it could be brought into the S-LSA category, what benefit would that give 120/140 owners and operators? I am genuinely curious...

The plane doesn't change categories, but, if it physically meets the limits for LSA then it is eligible to be flown by a pilot operating under an LSA certificate (read, no medical). There are a number of certificated aircraft that currently meet this criteria, e.g. Ercoupe 415C and CD, Luscombe 8A, some Piper Cubs, etc.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

"We" did actually have an STC enabling the 120/140 to be flown as LSA, thanks to the famous David Lowe ingenuity. While maybe not particularly useful (...read that "practical"), the intent was to reduce the weight by using minimum fuel, pilot alone (with only a toothbrush for "luggage" ;) ) and, as such, the "full size" 120/140 could be "de-weighted" and flown (legally) as LSA. Subsequently, the FAA realized the door that was opened with David's STC having been "approved" and they simply (& quickly) decided to refuse to honor it. The few 337s that were submitted were returned to the IAs as "unapproved". We spent quite a bit of time and energy appealing the FAA's decision until the losing "battle" was very clear. Of course, David also went on to "produce" a one-off 120 that actually did meet the LSA category...flew it to Dayton, in fact...but, again, to "remanufacture" & modify to successful field approval isn't practical for most of us. ...so, fast forward to this BIG announcement and "promise" to bring some common sense to enable more light aircraft to be flown as LSAs. While we've learned not to get too excited until the final ink is dry (which may be months or years), this has great potential for "us" IMO. There's little doubt that the constant and very meaningful and very public LSA "work and pressure" by David Lowe, our Prez. Virgil Warren and several other energetic, dedicated 120/140 folks has had meaningful impact on this positive movement!. Yep, one of many good things on the radar screen for the 120/140 family in the days, weeks, months and years to come :!: ! Mac
Name: Chuck
Occupation-Interests: Retired. Comm ASMEL, Istrument, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P/IA, Flight Engineer.

Post by 1307 »

uAvionix Skybeacon qualifies for the $500 FAA rebate.

https://uavionix.com/?fbclid=IwAR3mhQlj ... DZXNICIvhA
Name: Chuck
Occupation-Interests: Retired. Comm ASMEL, Istrument, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P/IA, Flight Engineer.

Post by 1307 »

This is good news. The uAvionix skyBeacon is now certified and shipping.

https://uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/
Name: Mac Forbes
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

1307 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:46 pm This is good news. The uAvionix skyBeacon is now certified and shipping.

https://uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/
Yes, good news...and, it sure is timely for those who are getting closer to the "deadline" and can utilize their current transponder. SkyBeacon remains a significant savings over the closest "competition", especially when you factor in the cost of installation. I look forward to hearing a report of the first "flight check" when one has been installed and flown on one of "our" 120s/140s/140As! Mac
Name: John von Linsowe
Aircraft Type: 48 C-140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5806 »

I am curious how many people NEED ADS-B for their normal flying areas. For instance, in Michigan there are 3 airports that have class Charlie airspace and then there is Detroit with it's 30 mile ring. That is less than 5% of Michigan's airspace that will require ADS-B by 2020. I would not need it in my 140 to fly from my home strip but I do also have a hanger at KFNT so I will be installing it, but maybe not by January 1 2020. Do you flying in an area where there is no Mode C requirements?

ADS-B in definitely has value no matter where you are flying. The data and traffic information is great. I am concerned however that the traffic information may prevent 'eyes out' to adequately scan for non-ADS-B traffic.

ADS-B out is good if you prefer to transit or have as a destination an airport in the required areas. Having your location 'in the system' for others with ADS-B in to see you has benefit as well. We loose some anonymity with ADS-B out as well. If you are showing your aircraft registration out anyone can go to an app like FlightAware and track you, know where you were and are. There is an anonymous mode on some equipment but not sure when that cannot be used.

So what are your thoughts on this with your situation?

And thank you to Mac for keeping the group up to date on uAvionix's solution.

John
John
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Post by 8233 »

5806 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:05 am I am curious how many people NEED ADS-B for their normal flying areas. For instance, in Michigan there are 3 airports that have class Charlie airspace and then there is Detroit with it's 30 mile ring. That is less than 5% of Michigan's airspace that will require ADS-B by 2020. I would not need it in my 140 to fly from my home strip but I do also have a hanger at KFNT so I will be installing it, but maybe not by January 1 2020. Do you flying in an area where there is no Mode C requirements?

ADS-B in definitely has value no matter where you are flying. The data and traffic information is great. I am concerned however that the traffic information may prevent 'eyes out' to adequately scan for non-ADS-B traffic.
I'm tucked right under a Class B so any option close to my house in terms of a home base is always within the Mode C veil at the very least so I don't have much choice and already bit the bullet and installed a Stratus ESG in my 120. I had an older Narco transponder but if I had something newer, I would have likely waited it out for the SkyBeacon. The Viking I also fly has been equipped for a while and I will say once you get used to having it with an app like ForeFlight (or whatever you prefer), it is a tremendous tool. As you rightly point out, keeping eyes out the window is a real concern. It's something we must continue to remind ourselves to do. Keep your scan going, always.
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120