New Member Introduction

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

New Member Introduction

Post by 8322 »

Hello all! My name is Ray Huckleberry, I live near Grand Rapids Michigan. I have decided that its time to buy my first plane and I'm pretty set on a 120/140, not a specific plane yet, but convinced this is the model for me. I'm probably going to bug you all with a million newbie questions! I will be a new tail wheel driver too, so looking forward to learning to fly without the training wheel! Most of my time is in a C-172, its a 12 person club and a great plane, they upgraded her to 180hp years ago so she really will haul 4 adults. But she is close to an hour drive so over time I flew less and less and now haven't in 3 years. I miss it. I'm going to keep my club share so I have a 4 person plane if need be, but I can keep a 120/140 at 6D6 three miles from home. I have 4 boys: 15, 14, 12, 2, I want to make sure my older boys get a chance to fly with dad before they head out in life and only remember flying as little kids, and to see if any of them "catch the bug" and have my little guy grow up with flying as part of life.

I've never owned my own before, and I won't lie I'm a bit intimidated by the process, nothing I know I can't overcome with some help but am definitely in need of some guidance, as I don't even know what I don't know, so to speak.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone,

Ray Huckleberry
Name: Brett S
Occupation-Interests:

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by 7341 »

Ray,

Welcome to the group! I'm confident that you will find the 120/140 to be a fantastic airplane and beyond that you will find this Association to be an excellent resource. We are one of the premier type clubs in the Vintage arena if not in all of general aviation. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our technical advisers (David Lowe and Victor Grahn) in addition to posting any questions you may have here on this forum.

Being from Michigan you are lucky to have some of the best State Reps in the country with Dick & Nicki Acker. They are staples in the Association and just wonderful helpful people in general. I'm sure they will be in touch if they haven't been already.

Beyond all of this if there's any way I can help answer questions, point you in the right direction, or just make connections with the right people for you I'm more than happy to do so.

Brett
Brett Swartzendruber
Kansas State Rep
NC89932 (1946 C-140)

Post by 8322 »

Brett,

Thank You! I have a bunch of questions to ask I'll begin to post. Yes I am already seeing the camaraderie of the group, I think that is a really neat aspect of these planes that have a "cult" like following. I notice a similar aspect in the short wing piper group. I had thought serious about a tripacer, but that steel tube scared me off, and really a 2 seat gas sipper makes more sense for my home airport and keep my club share with the 172 for bigger missions, being the Tripacer is just as thirsty as a 172. I just want to fly with my boys and the lady now and again, just to fly and the 120/140 is going to be just the ticket once I find the right one.

Ray
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

Welcome, you will be happy with a 120 140 Cessna. We purchased ours in 05 have a little over 40,000 flying miles on her. Our farthest trip was to Tucson from Chicago 3000 miles round trip ,we both still say AWESOME TIME! Best thing we did was show up at Dayton Ohio for the 08 convention we were HOOKED with the group. We have missed only 1 convention since . It was really bad WX in Gulf Shores and too far to drive we thought. Hope you can find the right plane that has been well maintained and the person that does a pre buy knows our aircraft well. Feel free to contact me any time and I'll share what I know about our plane and what we have done with it so far. We have 4 boys too and #3 gets married on Saturday so enjoy all the time you can they grow up fast. Hope you find your plane soon and we meet up. NC3600V Jeff and Cindy
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023

Post by 8322 »

Thanks jeff and cindy. Im enjoying it already just the learning and the number of members who have already been so kind. Im hoping i can make it to the next get together.
Name: Tony Becker
Aircraft Type: C-120 NC2442N
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8014 »

Ray,

Welcome to the world of the 120/140. We bought our '47 C120 locally in 2012 and, in the words of my son, have found it to be "a perfect airplane." Maintenance is easy and relatively inexpensive, insurance is not bad either, and 4.5 gal/hr is pretty easy on the bank account. Our longest trips were Minneapolis area to St. Louis and back twice.

In the air, the 120/140 flies with finger-tip control inputs and is entirely predictable. It has no bad habits. And, unlike the Tri-Pacer, it can glide. :lol: Plus, the twirlie wheel is in the back where it belongs.

Happy flying!

Tony
-----------
Tony Becker & "Rosebud"
C-120 NC2442N, S/N 12695, Feb. 12, 1947
"Flaps? We don' need no stinkin' flaps!"
Name: Horacio Berardone
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Civil Engineering, Cattle breeding.

Post by 5469 »

Hello Ray,

Welcome to the group, you will find here people that has deep knowledge and extremely good will to help you.
C120/140 are fantastic airplanes, I got C140 SN 10260 twenty years ago, and I am still happy flying and learning.
It is cheap to maintain, and flies on a low gas bill, So you will fly a lot, and never ask your pocket if you can top your tanks or not !
I live in La Criolla, Entre Ríos, Argentina, and my bird is only 12 km far from my farm.
Come back to the website as frequently as you feel like,
Finally, I suggest this reading:
https://airfactsjournal.com/2013/08/why ... ildragger/

Wishing you all the best,

Horacio
Horacio Berardone Bouhébent
LV-NGL 1946 C140 SN 10.260.
Based CLN, Colón, Entre Rios, Argentina.
Formerly 9Q-CKN Based FZAB, NDolo, Kinshasa, Congo.

Post by 8322 »

8014 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:48 pm Ray,

Welcome to the world of the 120/140. We bought our '47 C120 locally in 2012 and, in the words of my son, have found it to be "a perfect airplane." Maintenance is easy and relatively inexpensive, insurance is not bad either, and 4.5 gal/hr is pretty easy on the bank account. Our longest trips were Minneapolis area to St. Louis and back twice.

In the air, the 120/140 flies with finger-tip control inputs and is entirely predictable. It has no bad habits. And, unlike the Tri-Pacer, it can glide. :lol: Plus, the twirlie wheel is in the back where it belongs.

Happy flying!

Tony

Yea that straight down to terra firma glide ratio is not one of the Tripes more attractive features- for a nose wheel I like the rugged look of them though I will admit. And Yes I am looking very forward to learning the tailwheel,

Its really neat seeing how long so many of you have owned your planes, and how much they are beloved, that speaks volumes.

I have 4 possibilities on my short list, getting my medical Thursday, old one had just expired, and getting a bi-annual scheduled tomorrow in a a 140 but with the wrong brand in front of it- rental Cherokee 140. My clubs plane is down for the count with dead radios at the moment. Gunna get the rust knocked off my wings and then go "test fly" a 120. Once thats set, going to start working my list of 4...
Name:
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate pilot

Post by 1125 »

Welcome. This is one of the most FUN organizations I've ever been involved in. My son Eric and I flew to DYR for the convention (Eric did all of the flying) and we had an absolute blast!! Everyone that organized and ran it were very accommodating and the friendliest folks at any airport in the country. The flyout to Union City was great (a fantastic museum/park to see), the dinners were fabulous, the flying games were fun, and they also controlled the weather,(must have been that Southern hospitality working there). You won't go wrong with a 120 or 140, we flew 17 plus hours down and back at 5.03 GPH. We've owned ours 37 years and no one outside of our family will be buying it. Good luck in your search. Tom

Post by 8322 »

1125 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:37 pm Welcome. This is one of the most FUN organizations I've ever been involved in. My son Eric and I flew to DYR for the convention (Eric did all of the flying) and we had an absolute blast!! Everyone that organized and ran it were very accommodating and the friendliest folks at any airport in the country. The flyout to Union City was great (a fantastic museum/park to see), the dinners were fabulous, the flying games were fun, and they also controlled the weather,(must have been that Southern hospitality working there). You won't go wrong with a 120 or 140, we flew 17 plus hours down and back at 5.03 GPH. We've owned ours 37 years and no one outside of our family will be buying it. Good luck in your search. Tom
Tom, Thats fantastic! Really shows what great birds these are that so many have them so long and that yours is a afmily heirloom... im hoping my boys catch the bug! Or at least one or two.