50 Years of Freedom

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

50 Years of Freedom

Post by 1177 »

After five lessons my old instructor kicked me out on my own. 50 years ago today...
50Years.jpg
50Years.jpg (143.93 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Re: 50 Years of Freedom

Post by 6183 »

50 years of flying is a special achievement, Congratulations!
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

Apology for butting in...;) but, here we go. Agree -- 50 years flying is a meaningful accomplishment. Congrats!...to all who've made it and to those on the way! Others are welcome to share their story, I'm sure.
SOLO CHAMP 08 06 1969 50 P.jpg
SOLO CHAMP 08 06 1969 50 P.jpg (35.71 KiB) Viewed 876 times
I recall vividly just how much lighter that Champ was when Mr. Smith hopped out :o . After all of those years what a privilege it was to have him complete my Flight Review 51 years later & would have made the next one in '22 had we not experienced scheduling conflicts. Quite a ride & an incredible privilege to (still!) fly, I know we all agree. The greatest part is the wonderful friendships made along the way. Mac
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Cool post!

I got "signed" off in June of 1978. I kept up with my first instructor up until a few years ago. He passed away recently in his 90's. A great guy and I'm fortunate to have learned from "a good one".

Happy New Year!
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

Went to airport in July 1946 with 7:50 in logbook, instructor (WWII) said, "once around the pattern to get the 8hr, required then, and afterwards give me 3TO/ldgs to full stops". "Oh yeah, be careful, you won't have my weight up front". When I returned, he said let's see your hand, black with sweat from rubber on the J-3 Cub stick.
Along the way as civilian Tech Rep on heavy military radar, was in Casablanca Morrocco ( "play it again, Sam", Bogart for the old timers) for a month to get a visa to get to assignment in Tripoli Libya, I rented a J-3 and toured Casablanca.
Later, after family emergency, required relocating to Kaiserslautern, Germany, became friends with German car dealership who owned a J-3 at a grass strip nearby, who said, just keep gas in it and fly it all you want to.
Been a great 77.5 years, turned 95 Dec 26 but see sun setting in west. Flying kept me from getting ulcers during the years at Cape Canaveral, I would go flying to relax from stress due to 24/7 availability.

"Big Edd"
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

4004 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:41 pm Went to airport in July 1946 with 7:50 in logbook, instructor (WWII) said, "once around the pattern to get the 8hr, required then, and afterwards give me 3TO/ldgs to full stops". "Oh yeah, be careful, you won't have my weight up front". When I returned, he said let's see your hand, black with sweat from rubber on the J-3 Cub stick.
Along the way as civilian Tech Rep on heavy military radar, was in Casablanca Morrocco ( "play it again, Sam", Bogart for the old timers) for a month to get a visa to get to assignment in Tripoli Libya, I rented a J-3 and toured Casablanca.
Later, after family emergency, required relocating to Kaiserslautern, Germany, became friends with German car dealership who owned a J-3 at a grass strip nearby, who said, just keep gas in it and fly it all you want to.
Been a great 77.5 years, turned 95 Dec 26 but see sun setting in west. Flying kept me from getting ulcers during the years at Cape Canaveral, I would go flying to relax from stress due to 24/7 availability.

"Big Edd"
Truly an interesting and inspiring sentimental journey, Edd! I'd hoped that you'd wade in here with us youngsters! ;) That you're so regularly a helpful(!) friend 24/7 to us here over the years is fact. That you've contributed at the Cape and, literally, around the world similarly is legendary. Outstanding service, to Country as well as to flight-afflicted friends and no doubt many more. You're admired and much appreciated, old friend. May that sun showing in the west be yet a very distant blip on the radar screen! Always a special ride-along seat for you here! Thanks for sharing!

Mac