Basic Med and insurance.

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Chuck
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired. Comm ASMEL, Istrument, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P/IA, Flight Engineer.

Basic Med and insurance.

Post by 1307 »

In talking with a few fellow pilots, I've heard comments that aircraft insurers are considering not renewing policies for anyone that flies under the FAA Basic Med rules. Has anyone here heard the same?
Name: Mac Forbes
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Re: Basic Med and insurance.

Post by 2066 »

1307 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:50 am In talking with a few fellow pilots, I've heard comments that aircraft insurers are considering not renewing policies for anyone that flies under the FAA Basic Med rules. Has anyone here heard the same?

Yes, I've heard that...and, heard the same when Sport Pilot rolled out. My agent and insuring company underwriter assured me that it's a rumor, not based on fact. Yes, for future decision-making on rates and acceptability, insurers will surely pay attention to accumulated data regarding their "risk" in insuring any of "our" population, but there are no (known) plans/intentions on the part of any of the few major aircraft insurers to non-renew a client simply for flying under Basic Med. Both AOPA & EAA also affirm this. Of course, as with all contracts, it's always important to read our policy contracts to be sure we know and follow its conditions and underwriting requirements. Mac
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

Mac,

I'll call Reddoch and ask him if he's heard of anything concerning this subject. Will post what I find out from him.

Post by 2066 »

6183 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:27 pm Mac,

I'll call Reddoch and ask him if he's heard of anything concerning this subject. Will post what I find out from him.

Thanks, Mike -- no doubt he'll have an informed perspective. ...a bit of related humor: I'd actually asked him if I opted for Basic Med would it still be "legal" for me to fly in Alabama airspace...his answer was "yes, except for over Tuscaloosa, and that space is reserved for University of Alabama alum and fans" ;-). Reddoch has fielded Alabama jokes for so long that he has a ready answer for them all! :-) Mac

Post by 6183 »

Haven't gotten through to Reddoch yet Mac, but called the company from whom I purchase aircraft insurance, and was told this question has already been asked by other customers with their company. I was assured that an aviation insurance company will not deny coverage if a pilot fly's under Basic Med rules.

Post by 2066 »

6183 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Haven't gotten through to Reddoch yet Mac, but called the company from whom I purchase aircraft insurance, and was told this question has already been asked by other customers with their company. I was assured that an aviation insurance company will not deny coverage if a pilot fly's under Basic Med rules.
Thanks, Mike. That's the same answer I get from those I've talked to in the aircraft insurance field. It's the same kind of rumor that starts "somewhere" in a hangar and seems to take on a life of its own. As long as an insured answers all of the application/renewal questions honestly and complies with the current FAA regs, the contract is sound, 'though either the insured or the company can opt to non-renew for other acceptable reasons (...too high of a premium, poor service, non payment of premium, excessive accidents, hangaring/flying at hazardess locations, etc. and etc.)_. Some insurers spell out specifically that whatever FAA approved medical the insured is flying under must be current as well as specifying a current Flight Review -- some don't. There have even been some companies advertising over the past few years that "you're still covered, even if you 'forget' your Medical or Flight Review". In the final "analysis" let's all hope that we just continue to contribute to the insurance companies' profits while never having to "use" their product! ;-) It's always a good idea to read those boring policies ("we've gotta buy them to find out what's in them" ;-))Mac

Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

I've not heard that at all.

All they care about is that you comply with the FAR's. My latest 2018 policy states...verbatum:

Your policy will be effective while the aircraft is in flight only if all of the following four (4) conditions are met:

1. The pilot flying the aircraft must maintain a valid pilot certificate (including the appropriate
ratings) and valid medical certificate as required by the Federal Aviation Administration or
its approved equivalent

Emphasis mine.

Regards,

Mike
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10

Post by 6183 »

6930 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:17 pm I've not heard that at all.

All they care about is that you comply with the FAR's. My latest 2018 policy states...verbatum:

Your policy will be effective while the aircraft is in flight only if all of the following four (4) conditions are met:

1. The pilot flying the aircraft must maintain a valid pilot certificate (including the appropriate
ratings) and valid medical certificate as required by the Federal Aviation Administration or
its approved equivalent

Emphasis mine.

Regards,

Mike
Well it looks like you're in compliance Mike.