Opinion - article: taildraggers suck

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
rominoff
Name: Bradley Bell
Aircraft Type: '47 C140; '48 NAVI
Occupation-Interests: Software & Systems Development; A&P/IA

Opinion - article: taildraggers suck

Post by rominoff »

Got a kick out of this article: https://www.flyingmag.com/technique-pro ... gers-suck/

Taildraggers are new to me. Got the little 140 that i struggle to make good consistent landings: 3 pt or wheeled -perhaps i should accept that when perfection happens i celebrate, otherwise learn to forgive myself and be happy with good enough. I think about landing my '48 Navion, i swear that airplane can make a novice look good on landing -i speak from experience. But the little taildragger, on landings (touchdown) is a handful for a couple of seconds. one day, with more practice, sometime down the road, i'll get closer to feeling consistently confident in my ability to put it down right where i want in the center of the runway wheeled or 3pt, or perhaps close is good enough (no ground loops, no off runway excursions)... but i'm not giving up, more practice is what's needed, I need to increase my skills (technique) to match the little old airplane and shake-off my bad habits with nose gear aircraft - tail draggers are an absolutely blast to fly even if i dread those last 2 or 3 seconds at touchdown!