Insurance providers

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
VIP925
Name: Larry Benson
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Insurance providers

Post by VIP925 »

I am looking for suggestions for possible new insurance agency.

I just received an email indicating Assured Partners Aerospace transfered my account from Hardy Aviation to Light Aircraft Division based in Frederick MD

Thanks in advance for comments/suggestions
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Re: Insurance providers

Post by 2066 »

Larry, it appears to be a "normal" part of AP's ongoing growth (via acquisitions & sales). Adding to some other acquisitions, AP purchased Hardy a while back & has apparently continued to significantly grow GA biz & decided to further center their GA specialty @ Frederick, obviously near AOPA. My take is that it's the same coverage at a solid agency with ever growing clout in representing customers to the few aviation insurance companies out there. Just my opinion, certainly, but I'd hesitate to "move".
Mac
VIP925
Name: Larry Benson
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by VIP925 »

Thanks for comments. Am/was comfortable with Rep from Hardy being broker, just a little taken aback with change.
New rep is processing application, now waiting of their reply.

Thanks again for reassuring comments
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

If..........my ins broker is correct. It's best to stay with the same carrier. (major ins provider, as opposed to the broker) My rates have gone up over the last several years, due to "ins adjustments". So far it's not painful, just "inflation".

Post by 2066 »

V529 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:12 am If..........my ins broker is correct. It's best to stay with the same carrier. (major ins provider, as opposed to the broker) My rates have gone up over the last several years, due to "ins adjustments". So far it's not painful, just "inflation".
Excellent advice. Most company underwriters do respect "long time clients" as well as the established agencies who represent them.
Name: David Sbur
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture

Post by 6597 »

To revive and old thread....

I am really trying to stay with my same 'carrier' (TokioMarine/US Specialty Insurance Co out of Texas) but I am seeing a pretty wide descrepancy in quotes between them ($956), Global Aerospace (Falcon, $879), and Old Republic ($810) for 26K hull, 1,000,000/100,00/5000. I've asked my broker why so large a margin and why my WINGS/AOPA/EAA/yearly hours don't seem to contribute to any discounts any more. Stay tuned. I'd rather not jump ship as suggested but I see a trend here with my current carrier.

Post by 2066 »

Every dollar counts...and, it's frustrating to spend them on insurance vs. avgas. The differences you posted are significant but the trend seems on track with what many are facing, and switching to save still may not be the best decision(?). With the ever "aging" pilot population, many of them who seem to still be owning/flying our aircraft, insurance underwriters are increasingly antsy coincident with the aging trend (...aircraft owners as well as the "old" aircraft). While most of us prob feel that age-related wisdom more than makes up for losing a bit of our fast ball, beedy-eyed underwriters (...all due respect!) may see it differently. When possible, include along with a renewal questionnaire as much nitty-gritty detail as possible RE Wings participation, active participation in type club & EAA activities, details of "extensive annual inspections/upgrades" (& maybe even a note on the outstanding qualifications of your IA!), statement regarding the "extensive" Flight Revew accomplished, safety meetings participation, a well earned spotless driving record, etc. and etc. -- everything possible that will make an underwriter "feel" comfy in pricing...and continuing the coverage. Encourage the broker/agent to share this info. with the company's underwriter, of course. Along with very meaningful premium increases I'm hearing of insurers requiring 5 to 10 hours of dual as well as a minumum # of hours flown during the year. While admittedly worth much more than our 120s/140s, I just watched a neighbor with "that look" in his eyes as his tri-gear light sport flew away with its new owner...after his latest renewal had come in at $400.00+ (50% increase) per month plus additional requirements for currency and additional dual. (It's been joked often, if our Lord had intended us to fly He would have given us more money ;-)). FWIW. Mac
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

a well earned spotless driving record,

That does it........I'm toast.

That being said, I switched auto/home insurance and saved significantly.

Sigh......this fall when my aviation ins comes due, I'm going to shop around. INS is gettin' "spensive!"
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 4203 »

I do not pretend to know what is best for you, so keep shopping, but here was my experience last July.

For insurance comparable to yours, I was with the same brokier for years, but several different companies. Here are the #'s.

Pilot (me): 78 years old.
0 accidents over 16 years.
Similiar covrage to yours for $1,100/ year.
Refused insurance last year for age, (and my broker did not sell enough for the insurance company to carry us older pilots).
Broker found another carrier for $1,900/year.
Went to AOPA and the same carrier that quoted $1,900 for my broker, now quoted the same coverage for $3,600. (Thanks AOPA!)
Luckily I had an AVEMCO letter with my "junk" mail.
I am now with AVEMCO, for the first time for $1,100.

I do know know anybody else insured with AVEMCO, and I have no other connections with them, but I feel like I have been judged on my record not just my age. ...... Just sayin.

Post by 2066 »

4203: "...with AVEMCO, and I have no other connections with them, but I feel like I have been judged on my record not just my age. ...... Just sayin."

Agree...and I, too, have no connections with them (other than being a client). At "our age" ;) most insurers tend to run in the other direction, no matter our record, currency, qualifications, and the supposed clout that agencies, AOPA and EAA (and, even type clubs) are advertised to provide. Dealing "direct" with the insurance company (AVEMCO) has its advantages in that the employee on the phone or email gets full info. & has decision-making authority...or, at least, is sitting in the cube next to one who does. Too, they charge a "premium" premium so that they can afford to pay claims without question and, important for us, can afford to (and, will!) insure a wider swath of the pilot population without being overly "picky". With 50+ years as a pilot and 39 as an aircraft owner I confess that I've jumped around some to save a few bucks, even though I've always been convinced that AVEMCO is the finest all-round aviation insurer...just didn't think I could "afford" them. Looking back I kinda wish I had supported them more over the years as they have supported me in recent ones. Mac