New airplane and carburetor icing

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
rominoff
Name: Bradley Bell
Aircraft Type: '47 C140; '48 NAVI
Occupation-Interests: Software & Systems Development; A&P/IA

Re: New airplane and carburetor icing

Post by rominoff »

is it better to leave power at full throttle and apply carb heat, or as i did... apply carb heat, level off, and reduce power to cruise ? Appreciate all the great advice and personal stories :)
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

Welcome to the Assoc. and being a new owner Bill. The long time pro's sound like they have your answer. I'm in northern Illinois and have had the wake up call with carb ice several times. Like stated leave your carb heat on long enough to clear all the bad stuff never run partial carb heat and make sure your heat air box is in tip top working order. Not sure if carb ice reacts different to Marvel carb vers a Stromberg but we have a Marvel . Glad your getting answers from long time runners.
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
bill_e
Name: Bill
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Aircraft powerplant systems engineer

Post by bill_e »

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! I had a great flight over the weekend and got to use the new (to me) knowledge. Temperature was about 28F at 2500'MSL with dewpoint around 24F. Cruising at 2400rpm, I had to clear ice from the carb about every 15 minutes or so. I'd start to notice the engine starting to run just slightly rough, pull full carb heat on, and open the throttle up to about 2500rpm. I let it run that way for about a minute or so, then turn carb heat off and reduce throttle back down to 2400rpm. Then it would run smooth for another 15 minutes or so. It seemed to work and be repeatable, so I think I'm happy with that procedure. I also think I'm catching the icing early since what I noticed as roughness didn't get worse with application of heat, but sure got better after doing so.
tonycondon
Name: Tony
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Pilot, CFI, DPE

Post by tonycondon »

I'm over 300 hrs in my 120 and have never experienced Carb Icing in it. I've only experienced Carb Icing once or twice in 20 years of flying little airplanes. Lucky me I guess!

Are you running Auto Gas or 100LL? Stromberg or Marvel Carb? Its curious that you have a consistent carb ice "problem" when so many of us fly in similar conditions and don't get it.
N2395N
VIP620
Name: ken tengesdal
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests: fly the 120 over sunflower fields and shoot blackbirds at the same time from august thru october or until the crop is harvested

Post by VIP620 »

i have a manifold pressure gage installed and one see's ice sooner than a rpm gage
Name: David Sbur
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture

Post by 6597 »

i have a manifold pressure gage installed and one see's ice sooner than a rpm gage
Now I know what to do with mine, always wondered why a previous owner put it in, been using it to set cruise rpm with mixed results...seen here pre-restoration-
5-27-11 041.jpg
5-27-11 041.jpg (84 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
rominoff
Name: Bradley Bell
Aircraft Type: '47 C140; '48 NAVI
Occupation-Interests: Software & Systems Development; A&P/IA

Post by rominoff »

My carb is a stromberg on the c85
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8224 »

Is there any significant difference in icing between the Marvel MAS3PA and our standard
Stromberg carburetor?
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

tonycondon wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:41 am I'm over 300 hrs in my 120 and have never experienced Carb Icing in it...
I think if you use carb heat religiously whenever you reduce power below about 2100 RPM you'll rarely encounter carb icing. In about 35 years I can only remember 2 instances where it was a real problem.

An ounce of prevention, and all that...
johnhicks
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by johnhicks »

Something I would like to hear others opinions on is my my primary flight instructor has always told me to never pull carb heat on during cruise or high RPM as it could lead to detonation. If I've wanted to "check" during cruise, I've always pulled the RPM back first before pulling it on. Anyone else do this?

So far the only time I've encountered engine roughness associated with carb icing in my stromberg equipped c90 is at the carb heat check during ground run up. Have pulled it a few times and the engine has almost died, before the RPM slowly rises back up. Always check before take off.