STURGIS

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

STURGIS

Post by V529 »

I want to personally thank Bruce Bowen for hosting us this year. It was a grand time and everyone there seemed very appreciative. A bummer due to wx and other issues some folks missed it, but if you were there.......it was super fun. Since I'd been to the black hills before I knew where to go and what to expect and was not dis-appointed. Bruce did a great job setting us up for a quality event, given the opportunity you owe it to yourself to enjoy the night show at Mt. Rushmore. It's worth it!
Name: Blaine F
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests: Helicopter Pilot

Re: STURGIS

Post by 8474 »

Was really looking forward to making the trip, but the weather just did not want to cooperate. Hopefully I can make the next one. Glad it was a good time for all those who attended.
V529
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

8474 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:26 am Was really looking forward to making the trip, but the weather just did not want to cooperate. Hopefully I can make the next one. Glad it was a good time for all those who attended.

Sorry we missed you, we had reports of at least 6 aircraft who started out and ultimately couldn't "get through". There may have been more. It's a good time and a great way to learn more about your aircraft and meet some really good people, make new friends and see parts of the country you didn't know existed.
V529

Post by V529 »

While it’s still fresh and fairly recent I’ll include a couple of photo’s of the Sturgis convention experience for me personally.

Starting with a back story……..About 20 years ago I got to know one of our members from Virginia, Hugh Woodle.
Hugh was a retired DuPont Exec. He came to the conventions religiously. He mentioned to me that he always made it a point to leave a week early and tour some part of the country (in the vicinity of the convention) Continue on to the convention and then head home. For instance, I believe it was Spearfish in 2010…….or Nebraska in 2005? Where he first flew to Colorado to land at Leadville CO (Elevation 9900 feet!) just so he could take a picture of his aircraft in front of the FBO with the Elevation on the front.

I thought that was a pretty good idea, so for both Spearfish(2010) and Sturgis this year I left early so I could do some “vicinity traveling”. Both conventions I ended up in Colorado first.

My sister who lives in Loveland spent a day with me hiking in Rocky Mountain National park above Estes CO. We had perfect weather, warm dry air with no wind. (kinda rare up that high where it seems the wind is always blowing). In fact it was almost perfectly still. The Mulies, elk, pronghorn and marmots were out in full force. We got so close to a bull elk I could have tossed my E6-B at him!

From Colorado it was up to the Black hills. Taking off at Loveland the Density Altitude was 8100 feet………….Flying north of Cheyenne it gets barren real quick. (as does much of the western states) but it sure is a rugged beauty. I landed at Hot Springs SD for fuel then a short hop up to Sturgis with a “bend” in the flight plan to overfly, Custer airport, Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore monuments.

Shortly after I landed, my “ride” showed up. Les Bryan from Indiana flew in and we split the cost of a rent a car. We toured the Black hills, did some serious hiking. Watched about 300 buffalo in southern Custer national park, hiked around Devils tower, toured the Vore Buffalo Jump(where American plains Indians stampeded buffalo into a large hole, since nicely excavated), visited a couple of Indian Motorcycle Dealerships (both current production and pre 1953), saw Deadwood from several angles and drove the length of Spearfish Canyon………a must see drive.

The Black Hills are a spectacular place to visit. Almost the Rockies in Miniature. Hiking, camping, rocks, mountains……….(ok, smaller ones, but really cool rock formations) lakes, horse back riding etc and so on.

Our host Bruce Bowen put together a great convention experience, including a really cool “flyout”. We had a race dubbed “Mission Impossible”.
We were to fly past two local land marks “Deers Ears” and “Castle Rock”, about 40 miles away, document them with a photo(that we were there, with wing strut included) land at Belle Fourche, pick up instructions and photo’s of a “secret” airport with an identified circle to drop a nerf ball into, then land back at Sturgis. The whole event was timed. The prizes were: First place received 20 gallons of fuel and the top five finishers, a bottle of Jack Daniels Whiskey with the race and your position listed on it. The competition was fierce! Not only were the 120/140’s close, very close in time, Ken and Lorraine brought a Beech 18 and Roy Aycock out of KS flew a brand new C-172………. Some how……….they were able to fly faster than the rest of us! Thanks in part to the services of my Grade A navigator, Les Bryan, we secured 4th place in a highly qualified crowd!

Other cool things during the convention was a unique SAAB automobile museum, The town of Sturgis……..(of Course!) An evening at Mount Rushmore with a very nice Patriotic historical presentation, Awesome food and spectacular scenery.

The flights out and back were mini events by themselves, with weather to contend with both going and coming back. I’ve had pretty good luck with conventions in that I end up with Tailwinds for both inbound and outbound(over 50% of the time………I hope this doesn’t jinx me!). This convention was no exception and produced my second highest recorded ground speed of 150 mph on the last leg of the flight home. I think I’ll frame it………….

Hopefully you can find time to attend a convention sometime soon! It’s a great opportunity to meet new friends and see old ones. See similar aircraft and note their differences, and visit a place you haven’t seen before and lastly, enjoy the company of folks who share a love of our favorite airplane.
Attachments
Winner!!!  (sort of...........)
Winner!!! (sort of...........)
BH28.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Elk!,  walked right by this guy,  probably 20-30 yards!
Elk!, walked right by this guy, probably 20-30 yards!
BH26.jpg (151.92 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Verified speedster!  150mph,  gonna frame this one
Verified speedster! 150mph, gonna frame this one
BH2.JPEG (234.03 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
"End of the trail, Little Devils tower"
"End of the trail, Little Devils tower"
BH14.jpg (135.42 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Hiked with Les to the top of Little Devils tower.  7000 feet
Hiked with Les to the top of Little Devils tower. 7000 feet
BH1.jpeg (430.38 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Castle Rock North of Sturgis
Castle Rock North of Sturgis
BH9.jpg (105.76 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Deers Ears (looks like it from the ground anyway.......)
Deers Ears (looks like it from the ground anyway.......)
BH10.jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Mt Rushmore night event
Mt Rushmore night event
BH4.jpg (70.17 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Devils tower
Devils tower
BH5.jpg (150.57 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Custer National park
Custer National park
BH11.jpg (109.26 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
At Loveland CO KFNL
At Loveland CO KFNL
BH16.jpg (75.53 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Trail Ridge, top of Rocky Mt. National park 12,000 ft
Trail Ridge, top of Rocky Mt. National park 12,000 ft
BH18.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
The journey begins, departing at dawn
The journey begins, departing at dawn
BH22.jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
V529

Post by V529 »

I happen to really like "machinery". While out west we drove up to Cheyenne hoping to see the Union Pacific inventory of Old Steam engines, they restored a "Big Boy" (4-8-8-4), a Challenger (4-6-6-4) and a Northern (4-8-4) that they run on demonstration events. Unfortunately due to Covid..........no tours. But they do have a Big Boy in a park........Had to see it.

Another real plus is the largest Indian Motorcycle Dealership in the US is in Sturgis..........had to buy a hat! and see the bikes. Also up in Deadwood is Jerry Greers who manufactures parts for old Indian Motorcycles, (pre 1953), Had to see them as well!
Attachments
Indian Racing team,  not sure on the date either late 1930's or just after WWII
Indian Racing team, not sure on the date either late 1930's or just after WWII
BH7.jpg (88.89 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
1939 Indian Chief, my favorite bike
1939 Indian Chief, my favorite bike
BH8.jpg (119.88 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Big Boy at Park in Cheyenne, right off the main E-W road)
Big Boy at Park in Cheyenne, right off the main E-W road)
BH20.jpg (130.29 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 1383 »

We had a great time at the convention too. We made some new friends and got to catchup with old friends. There were some great fly outs planned and time for hanging out and chatting. Looking forward to Deborah, IA!
gpf3m
Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: 1946 C-140
Occupation-Interests: Retired and trying to stay out of trouble…

Post by gpf3m »

I wish I could have attended. The Black Hills is a special place indeed.