Propellers

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
cpt7576
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Propellers

Post by cpt7576 »

So I just purchased my 140 with 85 hp
Previous owner said it was a cruise prop. I plan on doing pattern with my son fly up to local mountain above PHX. Not real happy with performance. I know it’s summer time. Just flew out to ca coast cooler but still not happy performance.
What does it cost for re-pitched prop ?
What good prop /pitch to get?
I see new prop is 5 k

Any advise would be appreciated

I currently have the plane in San Diego area until heat goes away in PHX😰
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Propellers

Post by 6643 »

What model, length and pitch prop do you have now? (If it's not in your logs, take the spinner off and see what is stamped on the front of the hub).

Repitching is usually done in conjunction with an overhaul. Depending on how many overhauls your prop has been through, and how much damage it's suffered over the years, you might find it can't be repitched (again).

I don't know what the current going rate is for an overhaul and repitch. I'm sure someone who has had it done recently will chime in.

The McCauley 1A90 or 1B90 props with 71" length are common on our planes. Cruise pitch is typically 50" and climb 46". If you want to maximize climb, you want to pitch the prop for the maximum allowed static RPM. The best way to get there is to borrow a climb prop from someone and find out how much farther you can go, if any.
cpt7576
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cpt7576 »

Thank you
I’ll take hub off and check the pitch. Left the older logs at home in AZ.
Maybe I should start out with 46 climb?

I just like to see solid 500 fpm on pattern work 2 people Half tanks
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

We are at field elv. 677 in Illinois I have a 71 50 with a C-90 great for cruise would not recommend for pattern or hot with altitudes. We flew to Tucson for convention and used a 46 that did the job. Agree with what John has posted . Thank You for accurate and fast responses John.
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8224 »

I had a prop for an O-200 overhauled by an approved prop shop in Bessemer, Alabama two years ago, not repiched, and the cost was right at $700.0
cpt7576
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cpt7576 »

Thank you so much I start looking for place to send my prop
Name: Dean DeRosia
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6478 »

If you want to have your prop done in AZ, Warner Propellers in Tucson does good work and are nice folks to deal with. They run a free pick-up/delivery service route to the various airports around Phoenix if you don't want to make the drive yourself.

http://www.warnerpropeller.com/
Dean DeRosia
N81L
1946 Cessna 140
Glendale, AZ KDVT
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Did you look under the spinner yet? There is a limit to how much and how many repichings a prop can handle. Look for numbers over-stamped, or stampings that say "P1" or "P+" or similar.
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

FWIW The Bonanza Society gurus recommend that when doing maintenance on the props that one should not ask for an "overhaul" but ask for a "IRAN", inspect and repair as necessary! Understand that if one ask for an "overhaul" then the repair station is required to resurface (grind on) the blade surfaces, whether they need it or not. Not uncommon to hear that after resurfacing that the blade/s do not have enough metal left to be airworthy! Of course, the blade must not require the work.

Case in point, years ago my Beech 278 prop on my Bonanza needed resealing. I called the Sensenich shop in north Ga (major operation) and the Manager said that that prop was not listed in his repair station approval for overhaul but he could do an IRAN, just not calling it an overhaul. Just what I was wanting since my blades were in excellent condition. Prop came back resealed, etc and looking like new.
cpt7576
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cpt7576 »

I did look prop but left my notes in the plane. there was no P stamped there was AA — — then 50
I’ll take pic on Monday, celebrating 4 today.
Definitely a cruise prop 50 I’m thinks I’ll go with a 46.