ForeFlight weight balance

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
wrightbro1
Name: SW
Aircraft Type: TBD
Occupation-Interests: retired electric utility engineer, sport bike rider, equestrian, return to GA after 38yr absence, fresh medical & flight review. Looking to acquire a C140.

Re: ForeFlight weight balance

Post by wrightbro1 »

So your forward CG limit inputs would be your AC empty wt at ~12.2" and Max (Gross) wt at ~13.5". Again, adjust numbers to match your AC's W&B.
Aft CG limits inputs would be AC empty wt at ~14.5" and Max (Gross) wt at ~17.7". Again, adjust numbers to match your AC's W&B.
rominoff
Name: Bradley Bell
Aircraft Type: '47 C140; '48 NAVI
Occupation-Interests: Software & Systems Development; A&P/IA

Post by rominoff »

Here's my w&b profile in foreflight: https://plan.foreflight.com/wb/share/ac ... fdb6VgmJm3
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

I don't know anything about Foreflight, but the empty CG range is not a limit. In the words of Captain Jack Sparrow, it's more like a guideline.

It means that if your empty CG falls within the prescribed range and you adhere to the gross weight limit and baggage limit then you don't have to do any CG calculations. No reason you can't fly the plane if the empty CG is outside the range, as long as you can load it so that your loaded CG stays inside the "real" limits without exceeding gross and baggage limits.

Technically, you could fly the plane at 972 lbs gross as long as the CG fell within the 13.5-17.7" range, and you could find a pilot and fuel that weighed nothing.

[Edit]I guess my point is, the fore and aft CG limits are the same (13.5 and 17.7) irrespective of weight.
tomreneau
Name: Tom Reneau
Aircraft Type: 1949 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Corporate Pilot

Post by tomreneau »

Doesn’t the manual say that as long you don’t exceed baggage weight limitation and max gross limitation the aircraft will be within CG limits?
meloosifah
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by meloosifah »

For ForeFlight, I use max zero fuel as 1450 and it works perfect.