Need check out in C-140

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Need check out in C-140

Post by 8342 »

I need to find a Cessna 140 that I can get checked out in.
My 140 rebuild is nearing completion and with a rebuilt engine, I cannot do touch and goes in it until I get 20 to 25 hour of time on it.
I need to run it hard until the rings seat and it could take that much time.
My insurance company is requiring me to get at least 15 take off and landings. With in mind and only doing one take off and landing each hour that is 15 hours of flight time.
I cannot see tying up an instructor for that amount time in my airplane.
Therefor any information about where I could get the required instruction would be very much appreciated.
I am in Northwest Ohio but can travel pretty much anywhere to get the instruction.
Thanks,

Rick
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Need check out in C-140

Post by 4004 »

Rick:
Suggest you note what cylinders you have as a result of the overhaul - will help the gurus comment. Unless yours were chromed, most cylinders, now, don't require such a lengthy break in time. Big bores with engine analyzers - one can almost see the exact time of break in due to the temperature change! Just follow the manufacturer recommendations. No extensive run-in on the ground, just enough to check for performance, oil leaks, etc. and plenty of cooling between cycles, etc. FWIW 2C

Edd
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

Hi Rick, the members in Ohio (or other states) start on page 23 of our "Member Directory" if you go to the "Help" on home page it will show you. Any state can be organized if you click state on the top. This is why the Assoc. can be so helpful and this website has so much to offer. The only downside is some members will not enter a state ,address ,or phone number we do not send out spam here, and that is there choice but it is a great way to meet and great your neighbor hood flying buds.
On your break in ,,,,I can tell you we had ECI cylinders new install 2010 and I had 2 hrs hard at home than flew to Spearfish SD. for convention 1000 miles round trip, to date Oil consumption is minimal at best and compression after 500hrs is as if new! so follow the guide lines of your cylinders as they state. Oh and hope to see you in Sturgis SD. for convention 2022 or Oshkosh. JEFF
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

Actually in my opinion touch and goes are a good way to break one in. You need to be high power and below 5,000 ft to break one in, but you don’t want to overheat the thing. As takeoffs are as high a power as you can get and most airports are below 5,000 ft, and as new engines run hot, the wide open, low power, wide open cycle is a good break-in, because it’s not likely to overheat with the low power times in there, In my opinion. Plus if something should happen your forced landing area is the airport your doing patterns at, and for a zero time engine having a good forced landing area isn’t a bad idea.

Especially on the first flight keep ground run as short as possible, no long taxis. When you do initial run up, no idling and run it only long enough to do mag checks / carb heat and check for leaks.

90% of break-in occurs in the first pattern. Each cylinder goes through a power stroke at 2400 RPM 20 times per second.

The reason high power is required is how rings work, most have a bevel on top on the inside, cylinder pressure due to this bevel blows the ring against the cylinder forming a good seal, the higher the pressure, the greater the force, high power of course has the highest pressures. Even without a bevel this blowing the ring out occurs just not as much as it does with a beveled ring. Your after loading the engine up, hence the climb not high RPM, having said that climb at Vy or higher airspeed because your after cooling too, I’d climb as fast as I could and maintain say a 200 FPM climb.