Help with 140 purchase, please

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Help with 140 purchase, please

Post by nm taildragger »

I am a new member, and excited about purchasing a 140 (or maybe the right 120). However, as I mentioned in a recent post on the technical forum, at 6'2" I want to sit in one of these planes before plunking down my hard-earned cash (lots of related discussion in that post, so no need to reproduce it here).

So: is there anyone who owns a 140 or 120, and who is within a few hours of Albuquerque, who might let me sit in the cockpit to see whether I'll be reasonably comfortable? I am not asking to fly a stranger's plane; just to sit inside and wiggle around a bit to see if I feel at home.

I'd happily spring for a cheeseburger and fries, and would relish (pun intended) hearing about the owner's experiences, too.
“Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself.” —Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
simonlowther
Name: Simon Lowther
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Airline pilot Airbus 320

Re: Help with 140 purchase, please

Post by simonlowther »

This sounds like a magnificent idea. Hopefully someone will get in touch.
Si
Simon Lowther

Cessna 120 (11102)
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

simonlowther wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:50 pm This sounds like a magnificent idea. Hopefully someone will get in touch.
Si
Thanks, Simon. I hope so. :)
Name: Josh C
Aircraft Type: 140A
Occupation-Interests: Telecommunications

Post by 8413 »

Also try facebook for owners not on this forum.

The two main facebook groups I'm aware of:
-120/140 association official group
-Cessna 120/140 club
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

8413 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:21 am Also try facebook for owners not on this forum.

The two main facebook groups I'm aware of:
-120/140 association official group
-Cessna 120/140 club
I appreciate this, but don't do Facebook on principle. But really do appreciate the suggestion, thank you.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

nm taildragger wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:48 pm I...don't do Facebook on principle.
You are not alone...
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

6643 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:31 pm
nm taildragger wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:48 pm I...don't do Facebook on principle.
You are not alone...
Exactly--hence joining this forum, though not just for help in this regard. The tech forum in particular looks immensely useful.

I've been in love with tinkering since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver (to the dismay of my parents, who began to encounter disassembled small appliances all over the house). :roll: Hard to imagine something more fun than tinkering with one of these planes, which is why I'm going to enroll in the local community college A&P program the moment I find a likely candidate.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Why wait? Can you start in the spring semester? With the prerequisites for the summer session, that wasn't practical in our program.
nm taildragger
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by nm taildragger »

6643 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:04 pm Why wait? Can you start in the spring semester? With the prerequisites for the summer session, that wasn't practical in our program.
I think I may be too late to apply. But, yeah, I guess there's no reason to wait until I own a plane to start the A&P program. I need to go on the website and see how it would pan out.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

FWIW, my brother is 6'2" and has flown in 120's since the 60's. It can be done. Long cross countries are flown solo with the right leg on the right rudder peddle ........on the co-pilot side.

We fly together about once a year.........he can take it for about 1-2 hours. (not my company, but the spacing) He's tall and lean so shoulder room isn't too much of an issue.

But yes, given the opportunity try and find a 120/140 to sit in and preferably fly.

Be care with John C hawking the A&P college experience...........he's a long time instructor...........always looking for the next student 8-)