Engine Failure in flight

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Richard R
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Engine Failure in flight

Post by 7847 »

Ladies and Gentlemen, fellow 120/140 owners:

I just experienced my first engine failure after 50+ years of safe flying. I was enjoying clean and cool air in the Florida panhandle when I suddenly experienced engine vibrations? Having been a Flight Instructor for years, and what I teach students, I first applied Carburetor Heat, although it was warm and conditions didn't exist in cruise flight that carb ice might occur. After application of carb heat with no change in the airplane shaking violently, I turned to the nearest airport, 18FD, Skypark. No ATC was involved and the weather was CAVU so there was no need to call ATC to declare an emergency or squawk 7700 since I was out of controlled airspace.

Completing my engine scan, fuel tank checks, carb heat, and oil temperature and oil pressure, all normal, I maintained power and altitude as best I could while reducing airspeed to best performance. I was able to maintain 1500 agl until the engine finally quit simultaneously with extreme airplane vibrations. I was about to shut down the engine to stop the vibrations when it quit completely. I then realized I couldn't reach my intended airport of choice and looked for a suitable place to land. Scanning the area while maintaining best glide speed, I spotted 3 possibilities but elected to land on a hayfield, which, by the way was best for wind condition although we seldom have bad winds in our area of Florida.

I maintained about 60 mph until I knew I had made the landing area, shut off my fuel and all switches before touching down a hayfield about 2500 feet in length. After I rolled to a stop, I exited the airplane to inspect for physical damage and noted some oil on my windshield. I then opened the right cowl to discover a large hole in the engine case, later to be determined the #2 engine rod that had failed. Upon checking further i found that I still had 4 quarts of oil.

Thank goodness, God was my copilot through this ordeal.

Good news: I rolled to a stop near a main road, pathway to that road and recognized that I was just south 1/4 mile from friends. Shortly after I completed my post emergency landing, aircraft evaluation, and situation, 2 guys in a pickup drove by coming from a nearby wooded area. After I answered their question, "how did you get here", I learned that they are bee keepers and had just come out of the woods. They offered help in the form of transportation, which I accepted, and was dropped off @18FD, Skypark airpark, North of Baker, Florida.

All in all, no damage to pilot or airplane less the engine-!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Engine Failure in flight

Post by 6643 »

Well Done!

Be sure to let us know what caused the rod to fail, once you find out.
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

Wow! Great story with as good an ending as one could hope for. Really well done! I have always planned on using 60 as best glide if I needed it. You still feel good about that number?
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10
Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8362 »

Sorry about the engine.
Congratulations on handling it so well.
Hope the plane is back in the air soon.
simonlowther
Name: Simon Lowther
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Airline pilot Airbus 320

Post by simonlowther »

I bet you were wishing you had made that Mayday call when the engine quit; anyways well done on a great result.
Simon Lowther

Cessna 120 (11102)
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

Good job well thought out. After seeing the comment on Mayday call I think if i get put in that situation I might try to contact someone for help thinking the quicker someone knows whats going on the sooner i would get help if needed? But glad to hear your safe and hope no one has to experience this. Thanks For Posting REAL THINGS HAPPEN TO NORMAL PEOPLE. practice for it
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Most important item is that no-one was injured. Finding a good spot to put the airplane is a plus. (airplane in one piece)

Once things calm down please list particulars on the engine: TT, TSMOH, calendar years/months since last overhaul, We'd be interested. Engine failures on the C and O series are rather rare.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8224 »

With one engine failure in 50 years of flight really speaks well for the reliability of our engines! I have been flying for 63 years and have had two, both off airport with no damage. Congratulations on doing things right!
Steve Hawley
Name: Eric O
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: A&P IA

Post by 8313 »

Well done with the safe landing and thinking through everything you did,
There is a good video on YouTube that discusses the dead engine scenario. Search for Loss of engine power Martin Pauley.