What's your roundout and flare technique?

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
chewie
Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

What's your roundout and flare technique?

Post by chewie »

Hi all,
I'm curious if you guys have any mental or visual cues that you use in aiding the timing and height of your roundouts, whether they be for wheel or full stall landings. Not looking for the "right" way or some secret sauce, but looking to see how others approach it (no pun intended).

From a cockpit video, I notice I tend to overcontrol and float up on roundouts. I'd like to be more consistent in the height and control where I level off over the runway. My typical approach begins with 1500 RPM abeam the numbers with flaps just before turning to base or on base.

I recently got my tailwheel endorsement in my 140 and have about 30 hours in it, half of that student, half solo. The key points I've been taught - stable approach, looking down the runway, controlling alignment and drift - make sense to me on paper, but there's still something I'm not quite "getting" and I think it's a nuance of how I direct my brain. I might think I'm doing these techniques but maybe I'm not?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any tips or advice! I'm truly enjoying flying this thing. Just looking to improve and make my flying more passenger friendly.

Mark
Mark Johnson
per ardua ad astra
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: What's your roundout and flare technique?

Post by per ardua ad astra »

There are vastly more experienced folk on here than I. However here’s my take on things.

I don’t think I fly the landing. I think the airplane does that. I consider it my job to make it wait as long as possible!

For a three pointer, I just keep repeating to myself “hold it off, hold it off, hold it off!” The only other thing I do is keep the aircraft pointing in the direction it’s flying. Which hopefully coincides with the runway direction. Provided the runway is a moderate length it seems to work for me?

I will now take lessons from the many that know this business far better than I! :D
Name: Horacio Berardone
Occupation-Interests: Civil Engineering, Cattle breeding.

Post by 5469 »

Hello,

I am also a Cessna 140 learning pilot, but I will try to answer.

1. You mention "visual cues", and that involves: depth, motion, color, contrast and so on.

The best source I know to define depth perception and other associated cues is "Stick and Rudder". This book has about 25 pages in the "Landing" chapter describing this. Chapter 16.

2. If you want to do 3 pointers, you have more than one technique. Floating landing seems to be yours for now. But Stall landing is harder to do but more accurate. Take a good instructor and practice both.

3. Personally, I do wheelies, and I use the MAF technique that is very well described in this article:
https://bwifly.com/aircraft-insurance/w ... e-numbers/

At about 10 feet AGL I pull back the yoke for about two seconds, then release. I look at the end of the runway, as if you were flying a glider. Then a bit of nose down to touch and keep it on the ground.

4. One quote of a friend that is also a C120-140 Member is, more or less: Three point is an Art Work, Wheelies is an Utility job. He is absolutely right. Be current with both !

5. Many years ago, a swedish bush pilot in Congo taught me to fly the pattern and the landing touching the controls as little as possible. Let the plane fly hands off, you just set it to do what you want it to do.

6. Finally: French cuisine has three secrets: butter, butter, and more butter.
Your question has the same idea: practice, practice and practice !

Have a nice evening
Horacio Berardone Bouhébent
LV-NGL 1946 C140 SN 10.260.
Based CLN, Colón, Entre Rios, Argentina.
Formerly 9Q-CKN Based FZAB, NDolo, Kinshasa, Congo.
chewie
Name: Mark
Occupation-Interests:

Post by chewie »

Thank you both for the great advice! I'm reading Stick & Rudder now and loving it.
Mark Johnson