Remembering Lee Chavez

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
bechavez
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Remembering Lee Chavez

Post by bechavez »

I wanted to post a message on this forum since my father Elias (Lee) Romaldo Chavez, has since performed his final takeoff and will not be returning the to the earth. He was born in Dexter, NM in 1928 and he passed away on Friday, May 14th, 2021 at his home in Manteca, CA at the age of 92.

Lee was an active member of the Cessna 120-140 group for many years. His love for aviation attracted me at a very young age and I remember reading through his manuals as a small child, falling in love with the thought of only air between me and the world. My Father was a great man, an inventor, an engineer, a mechanic, automotive enthusiast, fisherman, aviator, among many other things that he set his mind to. He was so many things to me, being his seventh and youngest son.

When I was maybe 12, he bought me an incomplete model airplane that he found at a garage sale, it was an Aeronca Champ and it was the beginning of a life long hobby, that I still enjoy today. Building model airplanes grew my love for aviation, understanding more of how they operate and the necessity to ensure even the smallest detail is adhered to. I joined the Marine Corps in 2005 as an aircraft mechanic and for the next 13 years of my life I maintained and gunned on the CH-53D and later CH-53E helicopters.

Throughout the years, he continued to feed my love for aviation and around 2015, he was unable to get his medical renewed so he gave me his 1947 Cessna 140, N1949V. While he had always supported my interests, this was the first time I would be able to gain my pilots license. I regrettably sold this plane a few years later due to needing to move to another state, a move that I will never forgive myself for, especially now that he is gone. I can only hope that I can be an impact on my children's lives the way he was on mine.

You may recall my Father from the door latch springs that he manufactured and advertised on this group website, but I wanted you all to know that we have lost an amazing man and aviator. Next time you are out flying your 120/140, please dip a wing for him. This world will not be the same without him.
N1949V-2_small.png
N1949V-2_small.png (173.17 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
Respectfully,

Brandon Chavez
Beattyville, KY
Name: John Kliewer
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Re: Remembering Lee Chavez

Post by 6863 »

Thank you Brandon for honoring us and honoring your father with his inspiring story and the information that he has made his final flight. He was truly significant in your life like the best of fathers are and contributed to the rest of us as well. All the best to you Brandon as you make your way through life with Lee's inspiration for guidance.
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

Brandon ,So sorry for your loss . I have only spoken with your father on the phone and would have loved to meet him. Please go easy on yourself for having to sell the 140 you never know how life goes maybe someday it will appear for you again? He was a valued and respected member of the Assoc. and we all will miss him too. Thank You for posting this, prayers to you and you family.
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
Name: Blaine F
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests: Helicopter Pilot

Post by 8474 »

Sorry for your loss Brandon, I bought some of your fathers springs and he would occasionally call me up just to chat and see how my project was going. To be honest I never would have guessed he was in his 90's when we talked on the phone. I will miss his calls......
Name: Horacio Berardone
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Civil Engineering, Cattle breeding.

Post by 5469 »

Hello Brandon,
bechavez wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:16 am Next time you are out flying your 120/140, please dip a wing for him.
I will do this, respectfully.
Thanks for sharing your feelings with all our Cessna 120-140 family.

Kind regards
Horacio Berardone Bouhébent
LV-NGL 1946 C140 SN 10.260.
Based CLN, Colón, Entre Rios, Argentina.
Formerly 9Q-CKN Based FZAB, NDolo, Kinshasa, Congo.