CFI:s: What is your hourly for the airplane?

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
sbmackie
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

CFI:s: What is your hourly for the airplane?

Post by sbmackie »

What is youz guyz and galz getting for the airplane?

Thanks
Scott
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Re: CFI:s: What is your hourly for the airplane?

Post by 6183 »

Comparable to a Cessna 150 rental at a wet rate - $100 - $105 per hour.

CFI rates all over the board, but don't cheat yourself. I suggest a minimum of $75/hour.
sbmackie
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by sbmackie »

I came up with a rate of $104/hour wet. AV gas at our field is $3.50-ish, then the usual variable/fixed costs, and some for capital cost recovery.

Indie CFI's around here are 60-75.

Scott
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

Only rent it dry if you have disabled the mixture control.
I would think insurence would be prohibitive to rent a tailwheel?
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

a64pilot wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:10 pm I would think insurence would be prohibitive to rent a tailwheel?
Not really, if he's not renting the airplane out. Customer will cover the operating costs of the aircraft and pay for the instructor's services. His operating cost per hour is at $105.00 per hour. Instruction is based on teaching, his teaching rate is $65 - $75 per hour.

If an individual rents out the airplane for use such as solo activities then the aircraft is considered a money making entity and would be a commercial operation since the aircraft is making profit. On the other hand if the student pays just for the operating costs of the aircraft (i.e. maintenance to include annual inspections & supplies, storage fees, avionics depreciation, etc.), and the owner operator in this case Scott is always in the aircraft, and he's teaching he's getting paid for the use of his instruction skills and equipment. Sounds crazy, but my insurance company assured me that this is legal. It's only when you're turning a profit above the operating costs that commercial operating insurance is required.

I was faced with this same issue earlier this year when I agreed to help two (2) individuals by giving them flying lessons. We made arrangements with an individual to use his airplane, but he said he would rent it out, and told the insurance company he was doing so. He also was renting it out to private and commercial pilots to fly on personal business. When I got to the point of soloing these gentlemen, he said that he didn't have insurance for solo operations for student pilots. This when I talked at length to my insurance company, and got the information that I've mentioned above.

I would suggest that Scott talk in detail to his insurance company before he does any teaching in the aircraft if insurance coverage might be a question.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

6183 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:48 pmIf an individual rents out the airplane for use such as solo activities then the aircraft is considered a money making entity and would be a commercial operation since the aircraft is making profit
Careful how you say that! The insurance company may call it commercial, but the FAA doesn't! You are still operating under Part 91.