I really HATE Carb Ice...

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

I really HATE Carb Ice...

Post by 6930 »

So, I went flying yesterday and today. Yesterday, the temperature and dewpoint was 20/20 (deg F). Today the temperature and dewpoint was 39/32 (deg F). That's 7/7 and 4/0 in deg C.

Yesterday, even in the climb I noticed things were a bit "ratty" (technical term). When I leveled out, things just felt off and I was seriously thinking of turning around. It was like a low frequency rumble feeling in the seat of my pants. But, I forged ahead making sure I kept close to airports along the way. I engaged the carb heat and sure enough things got better. I'm like, okay...problem solved. But after a few minutes the same problem cropped up. I tried a mag drop test in fight...all okay.

There was a temperature inversion and I could clearly see the inversion layer (clear on top, hazy 5-6 mile visibility below). I added carb heat again and climbed above the inversion layer at about 5500' to get out of the haze and everything sorted out in the dryer air on top. Continued on my way no issues.

Today, I flew again and though not as bad as yesterday, I could tell my plane wasn't happy. I had that same low frequency, "hey what are you doing to me" feeling from the ears on my butt. Okay, I admit, my plane talks to me and I talk back. My wife will tell you my ears are always on my butt, but that is a story for a different beer.

This afternoon, I was checking carb ice charts and as you can imagine, I was solid into the ice regime both flights. I found a new chart which I don't recall seeing before. I don't know for sure who came up with this, but I like it. Thought I'd share my tale and this ice chart with the membership.

Fly safe, all! Happy Holidays

Mike
Attachments
carburettor-icing-chart.jpg
carburettor-icing-chart.jpg (314 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Re: I really HATE Carb Ice...

Post by 6898 »

That is good chart and never have seen one. Thanks for your posting I flew northern Illinois two weeks ago for a hour and coming back from short run on down wind pulling carb heat she had a pretty good rumble too. It's out there be safe .
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023