ballpark figure alternator and starter install

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
sbmackie
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

ballpark figure alternator and starter install

Post by sbmackie »

Hello,
When the generator fails, I'll replace with an alternator. Ditto starter, with a light weight Skytec or some such.

Ball park figure, excluding cost of device for install? Let's assume I'm not involved at all, although I hope to find an patient A and P that will let me "help" (not get to much in the way).
Thanks
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Re: ballpark figure alternator and starter install

Post by 6898 »

B&C has a great starter dont know if they have a STC alt.? I have a skytec (been fine) starter but after them (B&C) giving us a tour in Kansas they have a great product. As far as cost could be all over depends on what part of the country ? if there familiar? Hourly rates? I do know the starter is the way to go old ones work fine if adjusted RIGHT but they do crunch and slip sometimes NOT GOOD. The new ones require a dowel pin to be cut and there is a NEW COOL shield for that (cutting of pin) GET IT! Airplanes =$$$$$'s but cant put a price on fun and hobby's !!!!!
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8224 »

I have installed the B&C and Skytech starters on C-85s about a half a dozen times. I guess it could be done while the engine is mounted on the airframe but I doubt if it would be any faster. The problem is that the dowel necessary for the original Delco starter MUST be removed. I have only used the “clay pack” method to protect the engine and look forward to learning about the new shield method. Once the dowel is removed the starter installation is straight forward. The entire procedure, engine removal, dowel removal, clean-up, and engine reinstallation took about 12 hours as I recall. This does not include the installation of the keystart, battery cables, and solenoid, etc.
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Post by 8233 »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that if you had a pull start and separate toggles for L/R mag that the STC did not allow for conversion to a key start. You leave your mag toggle switches as they are and replace the pull started with a push button. Does that ring a bell to anyone?
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

8233 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:05 am I seem to recall reading somewhere that if you had a pull start and separate toggles for L/R mag that the STC did not allow for conversion to a key start. You leave your mag toggle switches as they are and replace the pull started with a push button. Does that ring a bell to anyone?
...vaguely. I have a "key" mag switch, but not start...kinda the same thing. I also have the starter button, separate. I'd still think that wiring for key start would be doable(?) if one desired. Mac
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Most key start systems start on one mag. Our mags both have impulse couplings, so you can start on both, and no special switch is required. If the STC says otherwise, it may be an artifact from a different installation.
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

Isn’t there an AD on the key switches?
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Post by a64pilot »

...vaguely. I have a "key" mag switch, but not start...kinda the same thing. I also have the starter button, separate. I'd still think that wiring for key start would be doable(?) if one desired. Mac
Sure you can, disabling one mag won’t keep it from starting. My understanding on disabling the mag without an impulse is based on the impulse coupling retarding timing, preventing kick back which could bust a starter or worse?

The mic switch in my airplane is an R-1340 starter button, just a simple momentary switch is all it is.
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Post by 8233 »

6643 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:45 pm Most key start systems start on one mag. Our mags both have impulse couplings, so you can start on both, and no special switch is required. If the STC says otherwise, it may be an artifact from a different installation.
Looks like the way the STC and install instructions are written, there is not any instruction for conversion to a key start. Not sure how much latitude there is to deviate.
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120
meloosifah
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by meloosifah »

Just for informational purposes - I just swapped to alternator, breakers, new voltmeter, a lot of new wiring, new Odyssey - spent the better part of 2 days and WELL beyond $1200 in parts. My mechanic said it would be around $500 in labor for him to do the basic install and closer to $1000 if he did all that I did. As it is, he agreed to oversee my work and sign off for about $200.