Designated Flight Examiner South Florida

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
bzim140
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Designated Flight Examiner South Florida

Post by bzim140 »

Good Afternoon. I am a student pilot and own a 1948 Cessna 140. I was recently signed off by my instructor for a check ride. Unfortunately I am having difficulty finding an examiner that has a Tailwheel endorsement. I am based out of KLNA South East Florida and would appreciate if anyone new of an examiner that may be available.

Thank You
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Re: Designated Flight Examiner South Florida

Post by 6183 »

Unfortunately, I don't know of a DPE in South Florida; however, if you're game at flying up into Alabama, Joey Sanders or Ken Spivey could give you your check ride. Ken is a past president of the Cessna 120-140 Association.
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Post by 8342 »

Silly question but since you are the PIC, does the Examiner need to be tailwheel qualified?

He should only need Airplane SEL Certificate.

Rick
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

Call your FSDO, since they have oversight they should know their capabilities. Your instructor should help you with FSDO contact. FWIW
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Post by 8342 »

I talked to an X DPE and he said that the FAA had lists of Airplane Models that he could give check rides in.
I think he said that he had to have 5 hours PIC in Make/Model to be able to have it added to his list.
It may have changed but you would need to have someone with a Cessna 120/140 approval to get your check ride with.

Rick
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

Rick, thanks for giving credence to my "sage" advice above. We have a DPE resident on our field. I remember when the previous DPE was getting time in the Diamond twin in order to give check rides. As a side note, about 60 years ago I had a Piper Clipper, tail dragger that morphed into the TriPacer, I contacted a DPE in Mobile for my commercial check ride . I had soloed in a J-3, lots of time in Champ, 120/140s, Stinson, but he suggested that I come over and rent a C-150 locally - never flown a tricycle - and I had heard that this DPE could be "tricky". I did as he suggested and after the oral he said go preflight the C-150. When he came out he asked if we were ready to go and I responded that we have a problem - aircraft had full tanks that with our weights we would be some pounds over gross - ask me what I thought and I responded, "you're the man" and he said "let's go" - passed the check ride.