A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
cruisin140
Name:
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Workin for the man.

Post by cruisin140 »

Hey folks, an aspiring pilot and new (to me) 1946 cessna 140 owner here. This group came highly recommended, and there seems to be lots of great information resources here. Thanks in advance to all those who contribute.

I needed an economical trainer plane, and the 140 kept rising to the top of the list, so this is the direction I went. Just finished my first owner assisted annual this week, which was educational to say the least. This little plane is a midtime O-200 powered, has 26" bushwheels, lots of little mods done, that Alaska planes get. I feel fortunate to be able to have a nice aircraft to learn in rather than rent, of course I would rent if there were any available in my town. That's Bush-Alaska for ya, almost everything happens backwards out here...CFI's everywhere tho, so the big hurdle (not having an aircraft to use) was the main obstacle keeping me from starting. I live off the road system, so planes and boats are a pretty essential part of life up here.

Anyway, I am going to immerse myself in the reading, and get after all this great information!
regular122
Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: 1948 C140 C90
Occupation-Interests:

Re: New member

Post by regular122 »

Welcome to the group. This association has been invaluable to me in very short time. From the technical data, to the helpful A&Ps and experts, to just the experiences that folks share about maintaining and flying their planes has been worth it.

I always loved Alaska and have been all over it. Drove the ALCAN twice back in the 80s, once in winter and once in summer. Winter was better as most of it was gravel back then. I was stationed in Fairbanks as a paratrooper, so I saw lots of Alaska by air! Later in another capacity, we flew by C-12 and hit multiple islands from Adak all the way out to Shemya on the Aleutian chain. Got to see the littered battlefields of Kiska and Attu. Amazing what was still out there then. Incredibly beautiful place.

Enjoy your 140! Steve
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

Welcome to the group! Glad to hear your thoughts on choosing the 140 big bang for the buck. It only gets better the longer you own one. Theres a lot of help here if needed too. One of our members recently flew to AK. from Wisconsin and back and theirs a story in a older newsletter you can read on line. Keep us posted on your new fun . Jeff
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Welcome to the show. It sounds like you are already enjoying your new (to you) airplane.

Since many of us have never been to Alaska, feel free to share photos. (hint, hint, hint!)
Name: Tamer A
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120 O-290-D
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8359 »

Post pics! Sounds like a great airplane!