STC Questions

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Marshall B
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests:

STC Questions

Post by 8434 »

Hi,

I'm new to the STC process, I recently purchased the Hooker Shoulder Harnesses for install in my 140. I thought I would find a fancy looking document saying that my aircraft has been added to the list of approved serial numbers maintained by the STC Holder (Hooker). I thought my mechanic would add this fancy document to the tech log and sign off the install. So my questions:

Do I need to track down the STC fancy document so I can have a copy in my tech log?
How do I verify that the STC holder has added my serial number to their list?
How does my mechanic know that I purchased the hardware AND STC?

Not that I'm going to do this but what is stopping someone from just saying they have an STC for Mogas and writing it into the tech log? Would anyone wanting to know for sure have to contact the STC owner?

Obviously I am very ignorant to the process but it seems like its very complicated.

Thanks
Marshall
Name: Blaine F
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests: Helicopter Pilot

Re: STC Questions

Post by 8474 »

It says on their website that they supply the STC paperwork.... https://www.hookerharness.com/aviationstckits.html
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: STC Questions

Post by 6643 »

What you need is a letter from them giving you permission to use the STC. This may be in the form of a blanket permission; the assumption being that if you have acquired the parts you have permission. There is no requirement for them to keep a list of serial numbers.

Your logs should include a copy of the STC and the permission letter, and a copy of the 337 documenting the installation.